We regret to inform you that Learning for a Small World will be shutting down on July 31st at midnight Pacific Standard Time. For members who have already purchased the course, please enjoy the course until then. If you're interested in accessing the course after July 31, 2019, you may visit: https://www.edx.org/course/star-trek-inspiring-culture-and-technology

What concerns you about our fast-changing world?

BenjieBenjie Administrator, star-trek-member

Tell us what you're wary of and why.

Comments

• edited May 2018

The digitization of human interactions really scares me. Will we have any human connections/interactions in the years to come?

• That society isn't keeping up with where our intellect and priorities should be. Governmental systems are flawed at roots and no amount of advancement will save us if our ignorance overshadows it.

• AlannaAlanna star-trek-member

The dumbing down of America and the fear of the educated/intellectual. It really worries me that people think the earth is flat, that climate change isn't real, that vaccines cause autism, that the vapor trails of airplanes are actually the government spraying mind control substances over the general population, that we've never landed on the moon, etc. The ones that worry me most are climate change and vaccines. The one that makes me the most angry is that Apollo 11 was faked. I was too young to appreciate Mercury, but I remember the glory days of Gemini and Apollo, the thrill of hearing Neil Armstrong say, "Tranquility Base here. The Eagle has landed.". That people don't believe these things has me worried about the future of our country. With people believing these falsities we are on the road to becoming a third world country.

• marilynKmarilynK star-trek-member

I am wary of the lack of personal interaction among the younger society. I'm a grandmother, and I have a iPhone, and I know how addicting they can be because the technology is impressive. But too often, at least in the youngest generations, their involvement in communication takes place only via texting and on line media. If it isn't Facebook, its Instagram, of Twitter, or any of a thousand social media's available now. Telephone companies used to limit the minutes on phone calls -- but they no longer do because phone calls have almost disappeared unless you count the numerous spam or telemarketer calls one receives. The majority of my personal communication that comes via my phone is via text. The next biggest would be notifications (so and so posted on Instagram, or Facebook,Twitter, or Yelp, or whatever the latest fad is). When the family gets together, an awful lot of the together time is sitting around outside or inside, with each individual holding a phone, an iPad, or some other electronic and everyone is staring at it and typing in something or other.
    I insist during all meals that all electronics are put away and not allowed at the table. But that is only when they are at my place. When I'm visiting theirs, there are no rules. Parents don't sit around asking how their kids school was that day because the parents have already gotten that information from the school which has all the information on line. So, yeah, that is what I'm wary about -- I love technology, but if it replaces good old fashion person to person relationships, it doesn't look good for the future.

• AlannaAlanna star-trek-member

I agree with you, marilynK. Everywhere I go, people have their cell phones out, whether walking in a crowd or sitting in a doctor's waiting room. It's as if people can't bear not being connected. Now, I have a Kindle tablet, but I limit viewing it to when I am at home or waiting somewhere. I use it primarily to read books. Facebook, I will admit, is a close second. But it seems like people get too involved in electronic devices, and not in each other. It also bothers me that I have to listen to someone else's personal conversation. It's none of my business! Too much information, or TMI, as they say. And that is one reason people have latched onto cell phones and tablets: to keep up with the constant flow of information bombarding us. We all need to slow down, limit our input to that which is truly important to us, and learn to smell the roses or enjoy a sunset.

• mrs84mrs84 star-trek-member

I am concerned that we are getting to the point where the amount of data coming into our lives exceeds the time available to properly analyze and act upon it. When information overload is coupled with a desire for instant gratification, then snap judgments based on sound bites and caption-reading are the inevitable result. I'm concerned that long-term, thoughtful analyses, as found in think tanks, are in jeopardy of extinction.

• Abolynn2Abolynn2 star-trek-member

I agree Mrs84 it is a mob mentality. It shocks me how little history and basic knowledge is actually in play by average humans. You can tell reading has gone by the wayside. It is knee jerk reactions made with no depth on subjects. Even our leaders are guilty. It clearly shows lack of education. I see it in younger generations in that they have a pre conceived thought that they can Google everything. They don't really need to know, research or learn anything in depth. It is a sad state of affaurs because they are not skeptical of sources, they don't get hands on or miss out on interactive learning. Many things used to be learned by apprenticeship and that is resented. Where some of the best lessons were learned from those interactions. This lack of personal engagement is crippling us in having higher functioning people. How can you have people function at a Star Trek Federation level when they have no empathy, no social skills. We are turning into the Corporate Borg. Terminate any unit that is not performing efficiently or part if the hive mind. Dependance on electronics is even giving them a very flat effect. Just my thoughts.