We regret to inform you that Learning for a Small World will be shutting down on July 31st at midnight Pacific Standard Time. For members who have already purchased the course, please enjoy the course until then. If you're interested in accessing the course after July 31, 2019, you may visit: https://www.edx.org/course/star-trek-inspiring-culture-and-technology

Confused? Ask a question here

BenjieBenjie Administrator, star-trek-member
edited July 2018 in Support + FAQ

Get in touch with us!

Comments

• Gloria54Gloria54 star-trek-member

Nothing works. Not sign in, not create an account. Do I need something other than a Chrome browser? Please reply to [email protected] Thank you.

• BenjieBenjie Administrator, star-trek-member

Hi Gloria. Apologies that you experienced that. I have notified our support team and they'll get in touch as soon as they can.

-Benjie

• Gloria54Gloria54 star-trek-member

I can get in if I use my Android phone or laptop but my Android tablet will not log in. I hate to use the laptop! Is this not going to work on tablets?Thanks, Gloria

Got it. Someone on our team will respond to your followup question as well asap.

Hi Gloria,

What I've learned is that the overwhelming response has pushed us past our limit and we’re working as fast as we can. We suggest trying back in 48 to 72 hours. If the problem persists we’ll need more information to troubleshoot a specific issue with Android tablets.

-Benjie

• Coupon code is accepted and is applied for discounted total. However when I try to pay it says coupon not found. Not sure where to go from here.

Hi @chad ,

Which coupon code did you use? We'll look into it.

Hi @chad

We have discovered the source of the problem you experienced. The coupon codes must be entered in all caps. We are sorry for the frustration this may have caused! We'll work on a fix to allow for lowercase coupon codes too, but in the meantime entering the code in all caps should do the trick.

Benjie

• tjrenegadetjrenegade star-trek-member

trying to sign up using the coupon code provided to Star Trek Las Vegas Gold level attendees and although it shows the discount at check out the transaction will not go through. Says Coupon Code not found....

Hi @tjrenegade ,

I believe this may be the same issue a few others experienced. The coupon codes must be entered in all caps. We are sorry for the frustration this may have caused! We're working on a fix to allow for lowercase coupon codes too, but in the meantime entering the code in all caps should do the trick.

• I'm trying to pay from Ireland. My zip code is made up of letters and numbers but the field only accepts numbers.

Hi @Ronan ,

One workaround is to fill everything out as you did but this time use a U.S. zip code.

i.e. try: 98105

• tjrenegadetjrenegade star-trek-member

@Benjie said:
    Hi @tjrenegade ,

I believe this may be the same issue a few others experienced. The coupon codes must be entered in all caps. We are sorry for the frustration this may have caused! We're working on a fix to allow for lowercase coupon codes too, but in the meantime entering the code in all caps should do the trick.

Thank You that worked.

@tjrenegade Great!

• AlannaAlanna star-trek-member

I have a problem with the reading links. Most of the time, they only go to a site where you can buy the book. I would much rather read pertinent excerpts from the books than have to buy the whole thing. I realize this involves copyrights and permissions, but you're the Smithsonian! I think most authors would be happy to have their (properly attributed) excerpts in a Smithsonian course.

Thanks for the feedback :) . I have passed it along

@Alanna

The higher-ups say "That’s good feedback. It’s not something we can guarantee, but it’s a great suggestion and we’ll look into it for the next generation of the course."

• I typed the coupon code TREKVEGAS in the coupon field, but got a message about a "vertex service error. No tax areas were found during the lookup." I received notice of the discount through an email from Creation Entertainment. I'd like to take the course for $2.95.

• TheGuruTheGuru star-trek-member
    edited August 2018

Hi, can the videos I have purchased be watched on any other devices connected to my TV?

Hi @TheGuru . The answer is probably "no", but you might be able to access the course on a tv-connected device with an internet browser; i.e. perhaps you can watch on your connected game console if it has a web browser feature. Or if you connect your computer to your TV with a HDMI cord you could do it that way.

• Hi. Is the fee ($2.95) a one-time fee, monthly, yearly? Thank you.

edited August 2018

Hi @MagickBox . We had a special offer for attendees of the Star Trek Las Vegas Convention. The course is $19.95. We periodically have special offers on our Facebook and Twitter pages. We plan to add additional content to the course, free of charge to existing customers.

• Thanks. I received an offer via email for the $2.95 and I did attend Vegas. But wasn’t sure if it was 2.95 one time or just for a particular course or if it is a recurring charge.

What is wrong with the discussion page for section 5? It isn't showing the various sections.

@Alanna thank you for the heads up. So when you go to the section 5 discussion questions, there simply isn't any content?

I tried to reproduce it, but I see the respective sections. Does anyone else experience this?

@Alanna said:
    What is wrong with the discussion page for section 5? It isn't showing the various sections.

There's content, but it seems to be the FAQs, discussions about the course in general, etc. The individual sections with the questions aren't there.

• SuzanneSuzanne star-trek-member

In the first two segments of the course, I've gotten a black screen instead of any video, and the message, "Sorry, the video player failed to load. (Error Code: 100013)
    Thank you so much for any help you can suggest.

edited August 2018

For some reason for have a link on section 5 of the LSW course website that directs to the wrong area of our forums; we'll get that link patched up ASAP.

In the meantime, here is the link that will bring you to the section 5 discussion questions: https://community.learningforasmallworld.com/categories/stc-section-4

Thanks for the heads up @Suzanne ! I have asked my colleagues about that and will get back to you.

• SuzanneSuzanne star-trek-member

(Regarding reported problem with Error Code: 100013)
    Thanks for your help, Benjie -- the videos are loading properly now. Onward and upward!